Skip to content
Travel Safety

In This Section
Travel Registry Info


  • Loading...

View All

Login: Cornell Users | External Admin

International Travel Registry



Fact Sheet


Screen Shots

Press Release





<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="197" src="" width="350"></iframe>


Cornell University's International Travel Registry (ITR) is an online portal that allows any member of the Cornell community the opportunity to register their international travel quickly and easily. The ITR is a system that allows for all international program travel, including ITART review countries. 

The University uses the travel registry to provide a clear picture of all student international activities. Cornell University provides a secure website with NetID access for faculty, staff and students to record travel plans and contact information. The International Travel Registry system is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communications and access to University emergency travel insurance.

The ITART committee set the mission of establishing a travel registry for student travel as a goal stipulated in Cornell University Policy 8.5, Risk Management for International Travel (PDF). The ITR was launched February 7th, 2013. 


Where can I find the travel registry?

The International Travel Registry is found at 

How can it be used?

The system is used for all international travel that is Cornell business. All students are required to use the system to log their international travel plans. Students going to an ITART review country must secure an additional approval before departure. 

Why is it necessary? 

In the event of an emergency the University has a duty and responsibility to respond and support members of our community who may be in harm's way. The University will access the travel registry in order to determine the locations and emergency contacts both stateside and in country. All travekers on Cornell business who are registered in the system have access to the University's emergency assistance program. 

Are they any countries not covered by the registry?

Yes, any graduate or undergraduate student going to an ITART Review Country for Cornell Business must apply for ITART approval before the University can approve such travel. A list of these countries is found here (link). A link to the ITART application is here (link). 


Cornell's International Travel Advisory and Response Team (ITART) has two main functions; first, to advise travelers and consider requests for exceptions to the International Travel Policy prior to international travel (see ITART Pre-Approval Application ); second to respond, in conjunction with Cornell's vendor, to international emergency services.

Vice Provost for International Relations, Chair
Director of Risk Management and Insurance, point person for emergency situations abroad
University Counsel
Dean of Students
Director of Cornell Abroad
Coordinator of Travel Safety (non-voting member)


screenshot 4screenshot 5

Screenshot 1screenshot 2


We have created the following documents for you to download and use as part of your messaging for the travel registry roll out. In the event you need any additional documentation please don't hesistate to contact us. 


Screen shots

Additional Articles on the International Travel Registry

2/19/2013, "EDITORIAL: Minimizing Restrictions On International Travel" Cornell Daily Sun
2/20/2013, "SANTI: Above All Things, Travel Safe" Cornell Daily Sun
2/21/2013, "New Registry Speeds International Cornell Travel" Pawprint
3/6/2013, "Student safety when studying abroad a top priority for SU, Cornell University" The Daily Orange
5/1/2013, "Tracking Travel", Risk and Insurance Online


We have two main videos that support the travel registry and a third that is geared towards faculty trip planning. 

Travel Registry Walk Through

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="169" src="" width="300"></iframe>

Pre-Departure Orientation

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="169" src="" width="300"></iframe>

Trip Leader Basics

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="169" src="" width="300"></iframe>

ITART Pre-Approval
If you are traveling abroad through CornellAbroad you do not need to fill out an ITART request

ITART Warning Pre-Approval

The chart below provides an at-a-glance view of which travelers and what type of travel requires ITART pre-approval for travel to countries designated as "high risk" by the U.S. State Department Travel Warning or the University's Emergency Assistance Provider


Cornell Travel

Cornell-Facilitated Travel

Non-Cornell Travel

Undergraduate Student

Travel requires ITART approval.

Travel/Funding requires ITART approval.

Cornell does not regulate this travel but funding is not allowed.

Graduate Student

Travel requires ITART approval.

Travel requires ITART approval.

Cornell does not regulate this travel but funding is not allowed.


Travel is strongly discouraged if other viable options are available.

Travel is strongly discouraged if other viable options are available.

Travel is strongly discouraged if other viable options are available.

Alumni or the Public  

Travel requires ITART approval.

Travel requires ITART approval.


If possible and necessary, the Director of Risk Management and Insurance, a member of the ITART, will take the lead role to support and assist faculty, staff, and students when they are faced with emergencies while traveling or in residence abroad. Emergencies may include outbreaks of violence, political unrest, or medical emergencies. The team may be called upon to convene by phone, e-mail, or in person. Other support services are available on campus to support travelers when they return or to support ITART as necessary. These services include: Counseling Services, Medical Services, Student health insurance services, and Crisis Management Services. The Director of Risk Management and Insurance, or his/her designated alternate, may proceed as follows when a situation arises abroad requiring his/her attention:


For more information contact Lex Enrico Santí, Coordinator of Travel Safety at Cornell University.

Phone (wk) 607-255-8830
Phone (cell) 314-578-7766



GSA Partner

Cornell Abroad 300 Caldwell Hall Ithaca, NY 14853 p: 607.255.6224 f: 607.255.8700

In an EMERGENCY for a student abroad, call the Cornell Police: 607.255.1111
Last modified 03/25/2016