Skip to content
Travel Safety

Login: Cornell Users | External Admin
Travel tips main image

Travel Tips Bar
  • Enter your travel itinerary in the Travel Registry Website at Travelers who enter their itineraries receive additional information about their destinations and gain access to a range of university-supported resources, including assistance while they are abroad. 
  • Register your trips with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  Incidents can occur anywhere, and this way you can be notified of any security messages sent out to U.S. citizens abroad.  Citizens of other countries can check with their embassy for similar registry services. 
  • Make two copies of all pertinent immigration documents (e.g. passport bio-data page, visa, etc.). Carry one set with you during your trip—but keep it separate from your other travel documents—and leave one set with family or a trusted friend in the U.S. 
  • Consider whether you need to carry electronic devices, such as a cell phone or laptop. New guidelines are now in place for particular electronic devices. See our section on electronic devices below for more information. 
  • Export Controls: protect yourself by practicing these safe electronic travel processes as outlined on the Export Control website
  • Exercise caution when traveling, and avoid protests.   
  • Be prepared for extra screening at the airport and carry your immigration documentation in a safe place. 
  • Communicate your travel plans with your family and a trusted friend, and create check-in procedures for your flights.
For example:
  • Text or call your friend immediately upon landing at your destination abroad and again on your return to the U.S.
  • Contact your friend again within three hours.
  • If your friend has not heard from you, they should contact Cornell Police at 607-255-1111
  • If you encounter issues while traveling abroad, contact UHC Global at 410-453-6330 or UHC Global Emergency Assistance Card
  • Memorize the phone numbers of your trusted friend, an attorney, and Cornell Police (607-255-1111), in the event you are held for secondary inspection at the airport. If you have questions about international travel or available resources at the university, please contact the Coordinator of Travel Safety at 607-255-8830.

Non US Passport Bar

Cornell continues to recommend that community members who hold passports from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen avoid any international travel.

Students who are non-U.S. passport holders are encouraged to schedule a meeting with the ISSO  office to help make informed decisions based upon destination of travel, purpose of travel, and immigration history.

Visit the Global Cornell DACA page to stay informed of changes in immigration law, international travel recommendations, and additional resources.

Incident Reporting Bar

If you are traveling abroad, or leading a program abroad we ask that you document any incidents that occur. An online form can be accessed here
Additionally, an international incident report can be filed on your behalf by contacting: Lex Enrico Santí or at 607-255-8830

Examples of incidents are as follows:
  • Anytime a student is hospitalized, no matter how serious.
  • Severe food poisoning or allergic reaction.
  • Anything of a behavioral health nature.
  • Rape or sexual assault. *
  • Bias incidents. *
  • Any incident involving injuries.
  • Any robbery or crime that occurred to yourself or a student.
  • Natural disasters.
  • Terrorist attacks.
  • Crime in which students are involved.
  • Civil unrest. 
Cases of sexual assault should be reported to the Title IX office: Reporting Bias or assault cases can be done here. Link here

electronic devices

Department of Homeland Security (TSA) announced on March 21st that all passengers traveling from ports of departure in Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the UAE will be required to place any electronic devices larger than a smartphone in checked baggage prior to boarding U.S.-bound flights.

The new order affects the following airports:

Abu Dhabi International (UAE) Cairo International (Egypt) Dubai International (UAE) Hamad International (Doha, Qatar) Istanbul Ataturk (Turkey) King Abdulaziz International (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) King Khalid International (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia) Kuwait International  Mohammed V International (CAS, Casablanca, Morocco) Queen Alia International (Amman, Jordan). 

This TSA order is in effect for anyone traveling from these airports to the United States, including all U.S. citizens.

**Electronic medical devices and smartphones will be allowed with carry-on luggage.

Use only Transportation Security Administration (TSA)-approved measures to secure valuable electronics in checked luggage. 
If you have any other questions about the implications of this rule, please contact Lex Enrico Santí, Coordinator of Travel Safety, at 

Know Your Surroundings – do research before you travel to another location.  Consult U.S. Department of State country-specific safety information and OSAC Crime and Safety Reports for all places you will visit. 
All Roads are not Alike – Research roads that you will be traveling if your trip has inter-city travel associated with it, we encourage you to consult: 
Avoid Alcohol and Drugs – we all know that alcohol and drugs impair our ability to make decisions and to remain alert.  Keep in mind that in many places the penalties for drug use are severe. 
Communicate – share your itinerary and location with trusted family members and/or friends.  Be sure to also share this information with your program provider, host institution, or other local point of contact that you trust
Use Common Sense – trust your instincts.  If it feels like a bad situation, get out of it.  And don’t walk alone, especially at night. 
Health Insurance – It is your responsibility to determine whether your health insurance covers your program abroad. If you have the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) your travel is covered. If your current insurance does not cover you then we recommend a purchasing a plan to cover you sufficiently,  CISI and  HTH
Ask for Help –  above all, know who you can reach out to for help. In many cases this will be your program provider or a trusted local contact. 
Insure your property – Taking valuables or electronic devices abroad, contact or call 888-411-4911
In case of any international emergency call Cornell Police at 607-255-1111 and they will connect you with an international crisis manager.


GSA Partner

Cornell Abroad 300 Caldwell Hall Ithaca, NY 14853 p: 607.255.6224 f: 607.255.8700

In an EMERGENCY for a student abroad, call the Cornell Police: 607.255.1111
Last modified 03/23/2017